About the Mixing DJ

Hi, everyone! I am DJ Fooz and on this DJ tutorial blog I am known as the Mixing DJ. I created this blog in order to be a part of the DJ community and to help DJs of all skill levels with DJ tutorials, music mixing tips, tricks, and anything else DJ related. I have personal experience with music mixing and DJing at all kinds of events from private parties to downtown clubs.

Many of you readers may be complete beginners and many of you might be highly experienced DJs and music mixing professionals. I encourage you all to participate in the comments, add to anything I’ve missed in my posts, and have discussions with each other. All I ask is that you keep it friendly so that we can have a happy and constructive community here.

If you would like to make a guest post on the Mixing DJ blog, contact me and we will make it happen. You can write a DJ tutorial, some music mixing tips and tricks, or pretty much anything else related to DJing. This is a great way to promote yourself as a DJ while helping others in the DJ community.

And of course, feel free to contact me for any reason, even if you’re just saying hi! I’ll do my best to reply quickly.

-The Mixing DJ

P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe to my RSS feed, click on the icon in the top right corner!

{ 57 comments… read them below or add one }

DJ ESCO May 5, 2009 at 9:19 am

pls can you attach some dj toturials in my mail. im a new dj so would like to learn from you guys. videos and documents if possible.

kind regards

Jake Edelman May 6, 2009 at 10:57 am

Some short videos would be awesome so we can see what you’re doing with some of the trickier stuff 🙂

Mixing Dj May 8, 2009 at 5:53 pm

@DJ Esco – I would be glad to help you out with learning how to DJ. Let me know what you’re interested in specifically and I’ll write up a tutorial and find some videos for you.

@Jake – Expect to see some videos here soon, I’m working on it.

mohamed firoz May 21, 2009 at 3:28 am

hi dj. am new the djing world,so i would like to learn more about beat matching.can u help me please

dj melle mel February 16, 2011 at 6:13 pm

what you need to do to learn how to beat match is to have your system set up so that your left turntable or cd player is playing in the left speaker an the right turntable or cd is in the right speaker that way you can hear both beats at the same time hope that helps

Pleabecek May 24, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Hi, discriminative posts there 🙂 through’s concerning the intriguing information

Dj Magesh July 20, 2009 at 8:15 am

hi Dj fooz im an upcoming Dj and i stillm want to learn more from the best and i think u can help me out in this regard…………..u can attach the tutorial material to my email…………….

keep 2 the beat………….

ray November 11, 2009 at 4:47 am

hey dj fooz i was wondering if you could make a post about what equipment to get? i mean other than scratch live. like cd turntables or vinyl turntables? and preferably what turntables do you use with the serato set up? drop me a mail man. peace

damsky December 9, 2009 at 7:29 pm

fooz hey! I am waiting for your post. and provide interesting lessons for a beginner dj, like me!! okay. then do not forget to visit my blog at offzone.blogspot.com!! and I hope you will join me.
let’s the beat

admin January 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to leave a comment!

@ray – Good idea, that will be my next post. I’ll take a picture of some of my equipment too so that you could see my setup. As a quick answer to your question, I am currently using Pioneer CDJ-1000’s with my Serato setup, with a Pioneer DJM-500 mixer and an M-Audio external soundcard for recording my live mixes.
@damsky – Hey Damsky, thanks for the comment. I did check out your blog and I must say it’s looking pretty good! I like how you made your layout and the variety of information you have there. I’ll definitely be stopping by there more often.

Dj Skoda February 18, 2010 at 7:19 am

i want to start up my own dj school type of thing, what sort of things did you look into and can you give me a couple of pointers? i am doing it for a unit at college

Dj GaReEy March 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm

m a immature dj ….

n now m taking ma dj trainning frm jo azardo…

so can i gut sum tipis 2 b a gud dj….?

Cooquist (DJ Co - C) April 12, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Hello, I’ve been djing now for about 3 years outside of the bedroom, probably 2 years before that inside. I’ve played the whole spectrum of tiny parties to my regular gig which averages about 1300 people a night. (for the cage fight and pro boxing world) My curiosity is with club DJs. I just spoke to one at the club this past Saturday and tried observing his gear, style etc. I have to say it looked like he wasn’t doing much. The songs all seemed to be customized for the club. He played popular and modern stuff but it didn’t look like he had to beatmatch much, worry about what song to play next, or adjust the pitch at all. Like it was all pre done. He was using Scratch live and a couple DVDj’s for the video part and he scratched some visuals, but he actually went to the bar twice in the 15 minutes I watched him. It’s something I’ve been noticing lately when I go out. Everything seems perfectly pitched and gained correctly and I feel like I’ve been giving these guys too much credit thinking they were amazing when half the time they weren’t even at the booth! So, I’m curious if that’s a known thing, that big club DJ’s have special tracks that are tailored so much, they simply just line up the beats and hit play near the end of their custom track. I’ve learned everything so far by reverse engineering and really listening to DJs and I know I’m doing a ton of adjustments to make it all flow. I’ve used everything from vinyl, to CDJ’s and now use a VCI-300 since it’s so easy to carry around and I have yet to see where you can walk away in between every song. I used to think these guys must have a 3rd deck from the complex instrumentals between two tracks but I think now it may mostly be prerecorded… Any insight from your experience about the world of a big club DJ is HIGHLY appreciated.
Thanks!

gabe May 13, 2010 at 5:50 pm

hi Dj Fooz .. am new in djing world…i would like to learn about scratching, mixing, and beatmatch…mail me 😀

jodez June 9, 2010 at 7:53 am

hi Dj Fooz…i am a dj but not getting the mixxing and beatmatching stuff so mail me plz

kev June 18, 2010 at 8:08 am

i just started out i’m collecting tracks but i have no clue on what it takes to learn s/w equipment so any information will be highly appreciated

Hootan June 19, 2010 at 1:52 am

Hi.I’m amateur Dj.I Like To Learn Advance Mixing House And AMbient Music.Can You Send Me My Mail Tutorial Like Video Or PDF?
TNX

budha June 20, 2010 at 9:13 am

Hi i just started learning so im openfor any tipe of information u could give me about the dj world, just have turntable set up but im planing to get the complet set up so any information about the equipmen tthat a beginer Dj should get would be also much appreciated
thanks

dj russ August 16, 2010 at 1:55 am

Hey ima begining dj 4mnths n da game jus got a feel for what type of tables I prefer and need a lil help on ma transitions can u help me

sagun August 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm

hello sir..can i get some specialll tricks and trips to mix,,,,i can mix but i dont have some good tricks

kenneth September 3, 2010 at 9:29 am

please i wan you to tell me how i can download a free full version vitual DJ which is not a Track. thanks

lonaldo rose September 3, 2010 at 5:42 pm

i’m from jamaica want to learn more about the types of music you guys play in the clubs over there eg genres

Miguel September 27, 2010 at 11:53 am

Hello guys I have been a bedroom dj for 5 years.
I was wondering if u can post a tutorial regarding
Song’s Kbps and Sample Rates that I can’t seem to
Understand.

admin September 29, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Hi Miguel, thanks for the suggestion. I will write up a tutorial for bitrate in the near future.

dj skitz October 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Hi my name is dj skitz from Fiji and i love to get more progressive mixxin hints and videos from your team.
thank you!
cheers

sagar November 10, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Hello Dj Fooz!
I’m from India and really need to learn Djing from you. I can’t afford expensive Dj courses or pay huge amount to any well established Dj to get some knowledge and for work experience. This is going to be a new start if you’d really help me, don’t have any previous knowledge regarding it.I’m very new beginner! Thanx.

vhick November 14, 2010 at 6:57 am

Hi!

I’m new in Djing. I really want to learn how but I have no idea where to start. I want to now some basic like software you use, affordable equipment, mixing, etc. The effect of some function let say in DJ software and what will be the sound output. I also like video tutorial and for easy understanding. I’m also like to know the differences of different genres. All I know is Techo.

I hope you can help me.

King Beast November 26, 2010 at 5:50 am

ey mixking. listen i wanted to get some research done on tribal house but theres so much information i cant tell the difference between whats real and whats not. id like to know if you have any tutorials on vocal tribal and if you do please email it to me. thanks

mike , dj tutorial December 3, 2010 at 4:00 pm

hi, i love the way you are helping djs here. Your tips and mixxin techniques are very unique, Good job ! i have just subscribed to your rss feed so thats cool. Gotta go now but will be back for more.

dj melle mel December 10, 2010 at 6:45 pm

can you please send me some info on how to use the highs an mids also the lows to get the songs right plus some info on some tricks on mixing

Dj Kode-Red December 11, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Can you help me with introducing new music to the crowd, along with tips to getting more gigs and mixing tricks? Thank you

Dmitriy December 12, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Hi. i am from Russia. Want to make music and learn Dj. Please send me info on my e-mail.

Soded December 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Hey I am a beginning dj that would like to learn about mixing, beat matching and just djing over all. I love dubstep and house generally and have a numark mixdeck which i just upgraded from a mixtrack by numark. I used to use traktor but im trying cds now. Any tips and info would be awesome!

david January 30, 2011 at 12:03 am

hey dj please i am very new i dont know much about djing and i want to know more about it please can you help me out on it i mean can you send me a tutorial which i will know how to mix,combine,beats and alot more i really want to be a very good dj and with your help i hope you will help me tooo.

admin February 9, 2011 at 10:18 pm

If you subscribe to the mailing list, you’ll get my Dj tutorials sent to your email!

SAGAR February 3, 2011 at 3:57 am

Hi…. i am sagar nd i m jst studyig in 9th std nd i am crazy about dijing….plz help me with sum advices

Dj Mystic February 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Hello everyone,

am a new female DJ on board, all the way in The Gambia, West Africa. seeking help in mixing .

Kehoe February 8, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I too would appreciate some dj toturials in my mail. I too am a new dj so would like to learn from you guys. videos and documents if possible, however, whatever you can provide will do.

Thanks much

Thanks much

admin February 9, 2011 at 10:17 pm

If you subscribe to the mailing list, you’ll get Dj tutorials right in your email!

DJ Dinu February 12, 2011 at 2:48 am

I love DJing…….
A world to Rock……..
I would like to get many tips about DJing………. Its better to get updated always……….. Tips are invited to my account……

admin February 13, 2011 at 12:02 am

Hi DJ Dinu, all you have to do to get tips in your email is sign up for the email list 🙂

aj tech February 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

hai i’m ajtech i love dj mixing ….you can help me to improve my knowledge in mixing music….you have any vedios,documents or tutorials so that i can learn more about mixing? and you attach any documents to my mail

manoj February 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm

please help me to learn dj mixing

Elmer March 14, 2011 at 10:51 am

Hi dj fooz

Im a teen and wants to learn djing I’m veery new to this stuff so if you can email me how to dj, and since I can’t really afford djing equipment I might just use an iPad to dj, any help would be great

admin March 16, 2011 at 7:32 pm

If you subscribe to the mailing list, you’ll get an update in your email every time there’s a new post 🙂

Dj Anurag March 17, 2011 at 3:38 pm

yo buddies,
1st of all, I’m goinn to open my site n upload some mixes on it n some other sites, but whats abt the copyright issues? I’m tottally fused! plzz help me as I dnt know much abt all that stuffs…
& other 1, hey buddies does anyone plays bass synthesizer? I need an good s/w bass synthesizer… n would love to hear ur bass n all other muzicss n samples.. 😉
keep rockinn!

jonn March 28, 2011 at 8:25 am

i use VirtualDJ Home 7. i was hoping u could give me tips. you can email me at freemanjonn@yahoo.com

m2k April 7, 2011 at 12:32 am

Hey I am a beginner and have been dijaing in small events but i have problems with mixing, beat matching, looping, introducing effects .Can you please send me some learning documents and or videos so that i can do things right

DJ Doogie April 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm

hey man, i read probably about 10 pages of your tutorials here and the beatmatching was greatly helpful, im brand spankin’ new to this whole thing, i like upbeat sound, and my main concern is whats good to mix together, or how to mix something like an upbeat techno song with the lyrics of a rock song, email me please i’d love any tips you have as well.

DJ Niro April 20, 2011 at 5:12 am

I would like to record my gigs and bedroom mixes and burn them for give aways during my performances to promot myself. What I would like to know is the proceedure or restrictions on this in terms of copyright laws and what I would have to do to make it legal

Jordyn April 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Hey I’m 16 and REALLY want to learn how to DJ for like parties and stuff. It would be great if you could help give me tips. I already got a hercules dj control but really don’t know how to use it to the fullest potential.

Dj Stone Cold May 15, 2011 at 10:42 am

Sup? I love music and I’m looking into this. I have no information or experience whatsoever. any advice will be very much appreciated. I have signed up for the mailing list. Thanks.
STONE

Zach May 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Please anyone who can help I am a beginning dj with a pioneer djm 500 and denon 1000 and denon 3500. I am trying to get mixing electro house down but its had to teach myself how to dj. Please email me at hobojoe7@yahoo.com if you have any tips or ideas that could help me.

Dj Stone Cold May 24, 2011 at 6:48 am

I apologize for this double-post but the reason I call myself Dj, even with no experience, is that I do use a mac application called Garage Band in addition to Audacity to make my own music. If someone would like my first album, leave me a message and I will send you the mp3s as soon as I can recover them. (The computer I made them on broke so I have to recover the files from the disk I gave to a friend. I apologize, if anyone would like them, if they are a lower quality then what I started with.)
STONE

drunkenmunky June 7, 2011 at 6:45 am

hey dj fooz
ive bin djing 4 about 5 years on n off not allways had decks lol got back in to it probaly again nearly 2 years ago i now own pioneer cdj 400s and have made a couple of cds and done alot of house parties n even sum functions i realy luv my music and mixing and wud love to make it a career but i wud just like someone of profesional level to tell me where im going wrong with things and stuff i cud be doin that im not so if ud be happy to receive one of my cds just let me knw cheers.
john

ETS June 10, 2011 at 6:04 am

Hi, just a few questions about equipment…

So I’ve been using a cheaper Numark controller for quite some time now, doing mostly frat parties etc and it’s done pretty well, but I’m stepping my game up and thinking about switching to turntables and the whole Serato setup that you have posted on the blog…I try never to sacrifice quality in favor of price, but added up, the cost of a set of new Technics, a Rane TTM57 and a Rane SL2 comes out to be quite a steep package.

I’m wondering, do you have any suggestions for comparable products that might cost just a tiny bit less? Also, what is the compatibility of other brand products with an SL2? (I.E., could I use a something like a Behringer mixer instead of a TTM57 or 56, and if so, what would be the drawbacks?)

Thanks so much for your time, any advice would greatly appreciated.

ETS

admin June 11, 2011 at 11:25 am

You’re right, the cost of the setup does add up pretty quickly. Your best bet at saving some money would be to forego the TTM57 and get a cheaper mixer with a separate SL2. The TTM57 costs so much because it has the SL hardware already built in. That makes it convenient and reduces latency, but you could get a cheaper mixer (like a Behringer as you mentioned) for closer to 400 and get the SL2 separately (around $500 if I remember correctly) so that would save you a few hundred dollars. Another option is to get some of your equipment used.